I finally won a match in the Thursday Amsterdam league! It was an ugly match but I finally got one, a win over the league director, after about 7 straight weeks of losing in this league.
I'm declaring my slump officially over!
(A loss next week would be the start of a new slump and not a continuation of this slump. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
I didn't play great but I did play smarter by playing more safes when I really didn't have a good high percentage shot. (This is similar to the strategy I used in my APA match.) I also kept my head a lot better too. I now expect the tables to run a lot faster and wasn't beating myself up (too much) when the cue ball over ran the position I tried to play. I just shot a saver if I could or played a safe. I'm also aware of the changes I unconsciously make to my mechanics as I try to adjust to the table speed so now I'm able to catch myself and to remind myself to just stroke the ball normally and let whatever happens happen.
My strategy worked well against the league director. He'd rather go for an outrageous bank over safing me back. He'd sell out or, even better, lose control of the cue ball and scratch. It really looked like he beat himself with scratches on the 8, the 9, selling out on the 9, etc. over "me beating him" by adapting a good strategy against him.
Goodie for me as this will keep me from getting raised.
I'm definitely more comfortable as an average C player as I work to adapt to all the recent changes I made to my game. It's been really hard to play leagues as a C+ and to add in changes, especially mechanical changes, at the same time. The changes haven't become natural yet and I still find myself fighting all the bad habits I learned years and years ago and, giving a game here, two games there, it was really just too difficult as I had no margin for error.
(It wouldn't bother me, personally, as much if I didn't feel the pressure of the "team" thing.)
I am becoming more and more comfortable with the mechanical changes, I have to still work on the Quiet Eye, but I do think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyway, that's the quick update.
Off to Turning Stone Casino and Resort in Verona, NY for the Joss 9-ball tournament. (Watching, not playing. This is mostly a Pro event.)
Pictures and updates soon.
I'm declaring my slump officially over!
(A loss next week would be the start of a new slump and not a continuation of this slump. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
I didn't play great but I did play smarter by playing more safes when I really didn't have a good high percentage shot. (This is similar to the strategy I used in my APA match.) I also kept my head a lot better too. I now expect the tables to run a lot faster and wasn't beating myself up (too much) when the cue ball over ran the position I tried to play. I just shot a saver if I could or played a safe. I'm also aware of the changes I unconsciously make to my mechanics as I try to adjust to the table speed so now I'm able to catch myself and to remind myself to just stroke the ball normally and let whatever happens happen.
My strategy worked well against the league director. He'd rather go for an outrageous bank over safing me back. He'd sell out or, even better, lose control of the cue ball and scratch. It really looked like he beat himself with scratches on the 8, the 9, selling out on the 9, etc. over "me beating him" by adapting a good strategy against him.
Goodie for me as this will keep me from getting raised.
I'm definitely more comfortable as an average C player as I work to adapt to all the recent changes I made to my game. It's been really hard to play leagues as a C+ and to add in changes, especially mechanical changes, at the same time. The changes haven't become natural yet and I still find myself fighting all the bad habits I learned years and years ago and, giving a game here, two games there, it was really just too difficult as I had no margin for error.
(It wouldn't bother me, personally, as much if I didn't feel the pressure of the "team" thing.)
I am becoming more and more comfortable with the mechanical changes, I have to still work on the Quiet Eye, but I do think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyway, that's the quick update.
Off to Turning Stone Casino and Resort in Verona, NY for the Joss 9-ball tournament. (Watching, not playing. This is mostly a Pro event.)
Pictures and updates soon.
I wonder what cue you're playing with?
ReplyDelete