I had a crappy week of pool and, no, I don't want to talk about it (yet) so I figured I'll go over what's in my case.
The Case
It's a Jim Murnak leather 2x4 case (2 butts x 4 shafts) that the Monkey custom designed and ordered directly from Jim. (Jim's shop is in Brooklyn and he also happens to play in the Amsterdam league.) I ended up with the case as I got the Monkey a Jack Justis case for Christmas/her birthday. (I really did it knowing that I'd get this case as a "hand me down" from her. hehehe)
Jim Murnak liked the design so much that he's currently offers it on his website. It's the hybrid #GL2500.
The only difference is that on my case the cap has a 1up mushroom. (Mario Brothers Rulez!)
The Case
It's a Jim Murnak leather 2x4 case (2 butts x 4 shafts) that the Monkey custom designed and ordered directly from Jim. (Jim's shop is in Brooklyn and he also happens to play in the Amsterdam league.) I ended up with the case as I got the Monkey a Jack Justis case for Christmas/her birthday. (I really did it knowing that I'd get this case as a "hand me down" from her. hehehe)
Jim Murnak liked the design so much that he's currently offers it on his website. It's the hybrid #GL2500.
I really like this case. It's light, has huge pockets and has backpack type straps so I can keep my hands free. I really like having my hands free when I'm riding the NYC subway system.
The Cues
My current playing cue is a Tascarella. (At least for now, currently going on about 3 months, as I'm notorious for rotating and using the different cues I have in my collection.) Pete Tascarella Sr. and Jr. are both local to the New York area and can often be found competing in the various tournaments around the city. (They're both very strong players.) The Tascarella's claim to fame is that they purchased all the notes and equipment from the widow of the legendary cuemaker George Balabuska and continue to make cues in the Balabuska tradition.
I was fortunate enough to pick up a cue directly from the Tascarellas as someone had ordered this cue but, due to unforeseen circumstances, could not complete the transaction at the time of delivery. I happened to be at the "right place at the right time " for once as there's a wait of a few years for a cue directly from them. It's one of the reasons why they go for so much on the secondary market.
My break cue, nicknamed the "Orange Crush", is a Mezz Power Break 2. I think it's the best break cue in the business. It took a little while getting use to it being a bit shorter than a normal break cue but it crushes the pack with minimal effort. Since I don't have to hit it that hard to get the same results I feel like I've got a little bit more cue ball control on the break.
Misc. Junk
Here's all the junk I carry around with me.
Top Row:
Weights for my PB2. (The washer looking thingies.) The "Orange Crush" is weight adjustable and I like it a little lighter so I can generate more cue speed.
Measles cue ball. I use it when I practice. (So, basically, never.) It makes it easier to see if I accidentally put english on a shot.
Tiger Paw cue holder. It's a bit heavy but I like how adjustable it is. It's pretty secure and keeps my cues from falling over/being knocked over accidentally.
TAR patch. Represent.
Middle Row:
Q-Wiz. One of the few things I'll use on my cue's shaft to keep it clean and smooth.
Eye Drops. My eyes tend to dry out when I get tired. With a lot of weekday tourneys starting and ending late. and with me having a day job and getting up fairly early eye drops are a necessity.
Nail file. I use it every once in a while my nails need attention. I hate it when I can feel my nails against the cloth or something. (I had clippers as well but I just broke them.)
The Ultimate Tip Tool. It's 5 tools in one but I only really use it to keep my tip from mushrooming as I have other better tools for maintaining my tip.
Willard Scuffer-Champ. If I do need to shape my tip this is the tool I use.
The Perfhex. This is, by far, the best tip pick type product out there as it's a lot easier to use. Since most people don't know about this product here's the description:
Pocket Chalker. Not sure who made this one cause it was a gift but I find it very useful. It makes chalking after every shot easy as I always have chalk with me. The chalk in it is Blue Diamond chalk and, yes, Blue Diamond Chalk is worth every penny.
Talc. My hands don't usually get sticky but I've found some rooms to not be properly temperature controlled and a bit humid. (Like the Riviera in Vegas in August.) Talc's good to have in those situations.
3 Piece Leather Chalk Holder with extra chalk. Just in case.
Bottom Row:
Porper Shaft Polisher. You know, for when I need to polish my shaft. (Ba-da-dum! I'll be here all week. Try the chicken.)
Skyline Billiards patch. Just cause.
And, last but not least (and not shown), a small towel which I "freed" during one of my recent hotel stays. I learned this trick from Mika: you wet a part of the towel so that you can clean your hands with the wet section and then dry your hands on the dry section. It keeps your hands cleans so that the cue stays clean(er). Plus I like going to the table with clean hands. It feels better to me.
(I do realize that there's a whole bunch of people, Philipinos mostly, who don't clean their hands while playing pool cause they don't want to wash away the "heat". I don't buy into it and I usually don't shake these people's hands since, at some point, I'm sure they had to do a 1 or, even worse, a 2.)
You can also wipe your cue down if you so choose but do so sparingly as water and wood don't mix.
That's it for me. I like comments, it let's me know that people are actually reading my ramblings, so let me know what's in your case.
Weights for my PB2. (The washer looking thingies.) The "Orange Crush" is weight adjustable and I like it a little lighter so I can generate more cue speed.
Measles cue ball. I use it when I practice. (So, basically, never.) It makes it easier to see if I accidentally put english on a shot.
Tiger Paw cue holder. It's a bit heavy but I like how adjustable it is. It's pretty secure and keeps my cues from falling over/being knocked over accidentally.
TAR patch. Represent.
Middle Row:
Q-Wiz. One of the few things I'll use on my cue's shaft to keep it clean and smooth.
Eye Drops. My eyes tend to dry out when I get tired. With a lot of weekday tourneys starting and ending late. and with me having a day job and getting up fairly early eye drops are a necessity.
Nail file. I use it every once in a while my nails need attention. I hate it when I can feel my nails against the cloth or something. (I had clippers as well but I just broke them.)
The Ultimate Tip Tool. It's 5 tools in one but I only really use it to keep my tip from mushrooming as I have other better tools for maintaining my tip.
Willard Scuffer-Champ. If I do need to shape my tip this is the tool I use.
The Perfhex. This is, by far, the best tip pick type product out there as it's a lot easier to use. Since most people don't know about this product here's the description:
"The Perfhex is a tip dressing tool 7/8" x 3/8" thick, which has 91 ground hardened pins set in an anodized aluminum housing and is used to perforate the tip creating tiny holes to hold the chalk."Allen Wrenches. Used to adjust the Tiger Paw's arms as well as change weight bolts. (You'll be surprised at how often this is requested.)
Pocket Chalker. Not sure who made this one cause it was a gift but I find it very useful. It makes chalking after every shot easy as I always have chalk with me. The chalk in it is Blue Diamond chalk and, yes, Blue Diamond Chalk is worth every penny.
Talc. My hands don't usually get sticky but I've found some rooms to not be properly temperature controlled and a bit humid. (Like the Riviera in Vegas in August.) Talc's good to have in those situations.
3 Piece Leather Chalk Holder with extra chalk. Just in case.
Bottom Row:
Porper Shaft Polisher. You know, for when I need to polish my shaft. (Ba-da-dum! I'll be here all week. Try the chicken.)
Skyline Billiards patch. Just cause.
And, last but not least (and not shown), a small towel which I "freed" during one of my recent hotel stays. I learned this trick from Mika: you wet a part of the towel so that you can clean your hands with the wet section and then dry your hands on the dry section. It keeps your hands cleans so that the cue stays clean(er). Plus I like going to the table with clean hands. It feels better to me.
(I do realize that there's a whole bunch of people, Philipinos mostly, who don't clean their hands while playing pool cause they don't want to wash away the "heat". I don't buy into it and I usually don't shake these people's hands since, at some point, I'm sure they had to do a 1 or, even worse, a 2.)
You can also wipe your cue down if you so choose but do so sparingly as water and wood don't mix.
That's it for me. I like comments, it let's me know that people are actually reading my ramblings, so let me know what's in your case.
No comments:
Post a Comment