Friday, October 23, 2009

2009 US Open - Day 1 (of My Trip)

I arrived on Thursday with play having started Sunday so about 1/3 of the field has already been eliminated. Some big names have already been knocked out and some big names are all on the 1 loss side. This tournament's brutal.

How brutal?



Just take one look at the guy in the chair's face.

It's Tony "T-Rex" Chochan suffering through a match with Mikey "Time Bandit" Wong. T-Rex was ready to prison shank Mikey by the time this match was over. T-Rex lost hill-hill in a 4 hour barn burner.

(4 hours is what I heard as I only caught the end of this match.)


Mikey does play slow and against a good player like T-Rex, where Mikey doesn't want to make a mistake, he plays even slower.

Is it intentional?

Is it a shark?

Should he be forced to play faster?

I dunno but no one seems to give professionals who play slow, Ralf, Johnny, the same kind of shit.


It's a good win for Mikey. Congrats.

Oh, and Mr T-Rex? Shake the kid's hand. Take your loss like a man. Be a professional.

Thursday night was the BCA Hall of Fame Induction dinner for Allison Fisher and Johnny Archer. Great only they ran about two hours over. The 7pm matches didn't kick off until 9pm so play went on UNTIL 4am!!!! Then, the winners of those 1 loss side matches are rewarded by having to play again at 11am the next day.

Amazing.


Oh, one of those people I was watching play at 4am? Johnny Archer.

Welcome to the Hall of Fame Mr. Archer.

I have to say I've watch some great pool so far. Matches between Mika and Thorsten, Jason Klatt and Charlie Williams, Marvin Manalo vs. Darren Appleton, and SVB vs. Mike Davis. The level of play has been amazing.

Okay, off to the convention center to watch some more pool. More pictures coming as well.

1 comment:

  1. AndyB6:00 AM

    am i missing something or is dennis hatch not there?

    ReplyDelete