Just when I think I was turning a corner and felt like I was getting a handle on all the changes I've made to my pool game I go and lose again.
To a D+.
BADLY.
Final Score: 7-3.
That's now 4 consecutive D players I've lost to in a row in leagues with this particular D+ having beaten me twice during this period of ineptitude.
I even heard "Hey, we'll let you play him again. You've already beaten him once."
My big chance for "revenge"...and I get beaten even worse than last time.
I even spotted a game less this go round, 1 game on 7 instead of 2, cause I got lowered to a C and I still couldn't get it together to win.
And while the D+ wasn't bad and had some moments of brilliant play I really felt like I gave the match away.
Example 1:
I'm running out, I get good shape on the 8-ball, I take my time on the shot, I hit it good and the 8-ball rattles and sits in the pocket.
I have no idea how in the world the ball did not go into the pocket. I could shot this shot 100 times and I feel I would make it 100 times. It was like 4 inches from the pocket and I had a good angle on it. It was a gimmie.
And. I. Hung. It. Up.
Example 2:
I'm running out again. I make the 8-ball but the bouncy rails makes me over run my position leaving me straight-ish on the 9-ball. I now have a shallow cut on the 9-ball. The 9-ball's about 2 inches from the corner pocket with it frozen or close to being frozen on the bottom rail. Not a gimme but definitely a makeable shot. I take my time, I line it up and I hit it good. The 9-ball slowly rolls towards the pocket and STOPS for no apparent reason.
I. Hung. It. Up. To. Lose. The. Match.
You ever notice that when things are going bad you can't catch a roll? Ever? And it seems like the other person's getting all the rolls?
Example 1:
The D+ is on two fouls. All I need is one more foul for the win and there's a good cluster of balls for me to hide the 1-ball behind. So I hit the 1-ball off two rails and get the cue ball snuggled up nice and tight against the 3-ball. It's about one of the most perfect safes I've ever played a safes are one of my weak points.
Only the 1-ball banks two rails and goes into the side pocket.
Most decent players, they usually hit the object ball "pocket speed" and are usually on target for the pocket. If they miss it's a fraction of an inch and the object ball will usually hang up in the pocket.
D player? They miss by a mile. They hit everything way too hard and have the object ball bouncing all over the place...and because it's me, and I'm the one playing a D+, I can't catch a break. Every time the D+ missed I'm left with NOTHING.
And it kept happening throughout the ENTIRE MATCH.
Example 1:
D+ Miss the 8-ball but leaves me straight where I have to try a bank on it. (Or try a terrible safe but the bank was like a two way shot...so I thought.) I made sure to under bank it so I'd get a safe out of it if I missed it only I don't under bank it, thanks to the bouncy rails, I over bank it. Of course the 8-ball sits nicely near the pocket since...
I. Hung. It. Up.
Example 2:
I played a decent safety on the 8-ball. D+ kicks at it, makes contact and balls are rolling everywhere. After the dust settles...I'm safed right behind the 9-ball.
Example 3:
Early in the rack and there's lots of clusters. D+ fires some balls in, gets some balls a-moving, and - well, what do you know. The dust settles for a dead 9-ball combination.
A month or so ago, when the wheels were starting to come off, and not like it I am now - a stripped Honda sitting on cinder blocks under the FDR, I reacted to "unlucky rolls" with a lot of anger. Why? Cause it's FRUSTRATING.
I don't mind getting beaten if 1) I feel that I played well and 2) the player legitimately beat me by outplaying me. (I do realize I'm a hack and I can't win them all.) I just hate to LOSE and I hate to lose by "luck".
I know, there's that whole philosophical crap about "you created your own luck", "you did it to yourself", "rolls going both ways", etc. and I know I get my fair share of rolls too...but it just seems that at the most crucial time, in the most crucial situation, the rolls are going against me.
My display of "anger" was pointed out to me, by my teammates, as being a poor sport. That I must remain calm to play my best.
Okay. I'll try a new approach. I'll try and laugh it off. Smile therapy.
So during the match I tried not to let any of this bother me.
Hung the 8-ball? Smile and laugh.
The dust settles and I'm safed with no shot? Smile and laugh.
The D+ misses again and I've got no shot? Smile and laugh.
And what do I get accused of? Not trying hard enough.
ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME?
Yeah, it's cause I f*cking enjoy losing.
I enjoy losing by such a huge f*cking spread that the team eventually ends up losing on points.
Cause. Of. Me.
So I'm back to being angry. (Works better for me anyway.)
Only I better start winning soon or there's gonna be blood...
No comments:
Post a Comment